This Thursday I’m giving a speech about how to create your own introduction.
Key points: you provide the introduction to the MC (or Toastmaster). The introduction should meet these three criteria:
Set the Stage
– What does your audience need to hear?
– How will they be helped?
– What can they expect?
– Why you?
– Why now?
Avoid the irrelevant
– Titles and certifications that don’t apply
– Self serving
– Extraneous information
If you are the one providing the introductionm remember these points:
– Use what the speaker gave you
– Make sure the speaker knows what you plan to say
– Avoid “I” stories (i.e. “I saw him speak and…”)
Conclusion: Put together an introduction for every presentation you give. Even if it’s not used, it will help you focus your presentation and plan for what the audience needs.